VIII. Copyright, Moral Rights and Other Issues
Cases concerning an artist's moral right to his art; copyright violations; and disputes over art commissioned for display in public places.Relevant Statutes NULL
California Statute - Civil Code § 986, California Resale Royalties Act
California Statute - Civil Code § 988, Residual Rights
Copyrights, 17 U.S.C. § 101, (Copyright Act of 1976), Definitions
Copyrights, 17 U.S.C. § 102, (Copyright Act of 1976), Subject matter of copyright: in general
Copyrights, 17 U.S.C. § 106, (Copyright Act of 1976), Exclusive rights in copyrighted works
Copyrights, 17 U.S.C. § 106A, (Visual Artists Rights Act of 1990 ("VARA")), Rights of certain authors to attribution and integrity
Copyrights, 17 U.S.C. § 107, (Copyright Act of 1976), Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use
Copyrights, 17 U.S.C. § 109, (Copyright Act of 1976), Limitations on exclusive rights: Effect of transfer of particular copy or phonorecord (First Sale Doctrine)
Copyrights, 17 U.S.C. § 202, (Copyright Act of 1976), Ownership of Copyright as Distinct from Ownership of Material Object
Copyrights, 17 U.S.C. § 602, (Copyright Act of 1976), Infringing importation or exportation of copies or phonorecords
French Copyright Law (Code de la propriété intellectuelle): I- La propriété littéraire et artistique - i. Le droit d'auteur - II: Droits des auteurs
Indiana Statute - Commercial Code - 32 Ind. Code, Art 36. Right of Publicity Act
New York Statute - Arts & Cultural Affairs Law § 14.03, Artists Authorship Rights
A . Moral Rights
- Broughel v. Battery Conservancy
- Camoin v. Carco (Affaire Camoin)
- Carter v. Helmsley-Spear, Inc.
- Fuantes v. Atlan and Poliéri
- Jancou Fine Art, Ltd. v. Sotheby's and Noland
- Kelley v. Chicago Park District
- Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art Foundation, Inc. v. Büchel
- Mueller v. Michael Janssen Gallery
- Phillips v. Pembroke Real Estate, Inc.
- Rouault v. Vollard
B . Copyright Regarding Works of Art
- Agence France Presse (AFP) v. Morel
- Blanch v. Koons
- Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel
- Community for Creative Non-Violence v. Reid
- Franklin Mint v. National Wildlife Art Exchange
- Gaylord v. United States
- Guino v. Beseder, Inc.
- Kienitz v. Sconnie Nation
- Kirtsaeng v. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Leibovitz v. Paramount Pictures Corp.
- Mattel, Inc. v. Walking Mountain Productions
- Pushman v. New York Graphic Society, Inc.
- Ringgold v. Black Entertainment Television
- Rogers v. Koons
- Société Art Conception Réalisation (SARL) v. Mme. Veuve Foujita
- Steinberg v. Columbia Pictures Industries
2. Out-of-Court Settlements/Non-litigated Settlements
C . Other Issues