Country Summary for AFGHANISTAN
"Historical and Cultural Heritage"—
1) Any product of mankind, movable or immovable, which has an outstanding historical, scientific, artistic and/or cultural value, which is at least one hundred years old.
2) Products which are less than one hundred years old, but which because of their scientific, artistic and cultural value, are also recognized as worthy of being preserved. (PHCH 2004, Art. 3)
1) Registration of immovable historical and cultural property will be undertaken, after the ratification of the Archaeological Committee and the approval of the Ministry of Information and Culture, and will be published in the State Newspapers for public knowledge.
2) The Institute of Archaeology is bound to attribute a registration number to the registered historical and cultural property and send a copy to the related provinces and municipalities.
3) The boundaries of the immovable historical object should be measured by the Archaeological Committee. (PHCH 2004, Art. 14)
Movable historical and cultural properties, which have been in the custody of a real or legal person, before the application of this law, are registered by the Ministry of Information and Culture. (PHCH 2004, Art. 24)
The owner of a registered movable cultural property is obliged to inform the Institute of Archaeology and the National Museum in case of change of the place of preservation. (PHCH 2004, Art. 30)
The finder of movable properties is bound to inform the Institute of Archaeology, within one week in the capital, and the Office for the Preservation of Historical and Cultural Heritage or to the local administration in the provinces, within two weeks. The administration is obliged to inform the Institute of Archaeology in the shortest delay. (PHCH 2004, Art. 26)
The Institute of Archaeology [and the Department for Preservation and rehabilitation of Historical Monuments] is bound to survey and register all historical monuments and sites, specify their limits, collect and organize all the documentation and references pertaining to them. (PHCH 2004, Art. 7)